Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is part of a historic multiyear transformation at the Walt Disney World Resort theme park
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Dec. 3, 2019) – Disney’s Hollywood Studios has come a long way in its first three decades. The Walt Disney World Resort theme park marked its 30thanniversary on May 1, 2019, and the celebration continues with the grand opening of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance on Dec. 5, 2019.
On opening day, the park gave guests a behind-the-scenes look at moviemaking. Many of the Tinseltown icons that debuted May 1, 1989, remain, such as re-creations of the Chinese Theatre and The Hollywood Brown Derby, while the park has evolved into a place that envelops guests in even more immersive experiences. From high-octane fun with Lightning McQueen to playing like a toy with Woody and Buzz Lightyear to exploring a new world in the Star Wars galaxy far, far away, today’s Disney’s Hollywood Studios brings stories to life in whole new ways. And there is still more excitement to come with the planned opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway on March 4, 2020.
These additions mark a new generation of attractions that cement the transformation of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and propel the park into the future.
“From the early days of making movies to today’s focus on engaging guests, putting them in the story, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has followed an amazing arc across three decades,” said Phil Holmes, vice president of the park. “I’m thrilled with its transformation and look forward to an exciting future. Given all the new and coming attractions, our message to guests is clear: let your adventures begin at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.”
What’s New Around Disney’s Hollywood Studios During Its 30thAnniversary Year
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is an expansive and immersive experience that transports guests to the distant planet of Batuu, where they can live out their own Star Wars adventures inside a 14-acre land. Guests join a climactic battle between the Resistance and the First Order in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. They build their own droid or craft a lightsaber, discover exotic food and drink, and explore Black Spire Outpost in search of rare antiquities.
- Woody, Jessie, Buzz and other fun-loving characters from Pixar Animation Studios’ Toy Storywelcome guests to Toy Story Land, where they feel like “honorary toys” in the larger-than-life outdoor setting of Andy’s backyard. Amid giant-size toys, guests can experience the family-friendly roller coaster Slinky Dog Dash, take a spin on Alien Swirling Saucers and enjoy the 4D fun of Toy Story Mania! And now, Bo Peep from Disney and Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” makes appearances in Toy Story Land!
- At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, guests learn what it takes to be a champion racer. Lightning McQueen, star of Pixar’s Carsfilms, uses state-of-the-art technology and a massive wraparound screen to teach the rules of the road as guests become rookie racers in this new show experience.
- With its pulsing lights and singalong-worthy songs, the new Disney Junior Dance Party! invites kids to jump, twirl and move their feet with characters from Disney Junior television series live onstage. Doc McStuffins, Vampirina, Timon and Mickey Mouse lead the fun of this high-energy show.
- Mike and Sulley from Disney and Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” greet guests in Walt Disney Presents, a walk-through gallery exploring Walt Disney’s creative legacy and showcasing concept art and models of upcoming park additions.
Coming Attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Imagine being inside a Mickey Mouse cartoon short! Anything can happen aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, where guests will burst through the Chinese Theatre movie screen and join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and pals on a wacky adventure. With a planned opening March 4, 2020, this first ride-through attraction themed to Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will feature dazzling visual effects, a lovable theme song and surprising twists and turns that will be fun for the entire family.
- Mickey Shorts Theater in Disney’s Hollywood Studios – opening March 2020 – will show an original short film in the style of the popular Disney Channel animated series “Mickey Mouse,” and will feature photo-opportunity locations for guests.
- Roundup Rodeo BBQ is a new table-service restaurant coming to Toy Story Land in 2020 as guests live their adventures together at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The playful theme of the new dining locale looks as if Andy has cut and taped cardboard boxes together to form his new play set.
To easily access all this fun and excitement, guests can float into Disney’s Hollywood Studios aboard the new Disney Skyliner, a state-of-the-art gondola system now connecting the park (and Epcot) to four Disney resort hotels. Soaring along the treetops of Walt Disney World Resort, guests discover views never seen before as they prepare to let their adventures begin at the newly transformed Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Walt Disney World Resort Public Relations | 407-566-6397 | DW.Public.Relations@disney.com