Since the opening of Disneyland in 1955, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has continued to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to connect guests with the stories and characters they cherish most and deliver legendary guest service. Disney Cast, Crew and Imagineers constantly ask themselves, “How can we take what we do and do it even better?”
Recent Disney Innovations: A Holistic Approach
Disney continually evaluates all aspects of a guests’ visit – from vacation planning to resort hotels to attractions and entertainment – with the goal of creating a seamless, worry-free experience that enables them to focus on creating lasting memories with family and friends.
Recent examples of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts taking the guest experience to the next level include:
- Interactive queues at Walt Disney World attractions such as Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid and Test Track Presented by Chevrolet immerse guests in the story before they ever set foot in the attraction. Guests don’t feel like they are waiting in line at all at Dumbo the Flying Elephant, where parents can relax in the air-conditioned big top while their children play.
- At Walt Disney World Resort, Turtle Talk with Crush and Enchanted Tales with Belle offer a personalized experience with favorite characters that is different every time a guest visits.
- Interactive experiences such as Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and Phineas & Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure at Epcot enable guests to explore their Disney destination in new ways. In summer 2013, Magic Kingdom added a new experience, A Pirate’s Adventure – Treasures of the Seven Seas.
Making “How” Guests Experience Disney Parks Even Better: MyMagic+ at Walt Disney World Resort
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is taking another step forward to evolve “how” guests experience Walt Disney World Resort, making it easier than ever before for them to make the most of their visit and have even more meaningful interactions with Cast Members. Many of these efforts fall under the umbrella of MyMagic+, which has the ability to connect nearly all aspects of the guest experience and make it even better.
- My Disney Experience. Guests have the opportunity to create their own personal guide to the magic on MyDisneyExperience.com — a new website and mobile app. With it, families can begin their experience before they even leave home. The My Disney Experience app travels with guests as they visit Walt Disney World and helps them relive their experience long after their visit is over. My Disney Experience enables guests to:
- Get more information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer, from resort hotels and attractions to dining and merchandise.
- Design the overall Walt Disney World experience they want, planning as much or as little as they wish.
- Make dining and other reservations.
- Connect with family and friends to coordinate plans and share photos.
- Navigate Walt Disney World Resort with ease, using new, enhanced maps.
- Conveniently access wait times as well as times for shows and character greetings.
- Disney FastPass+. Guests can select FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences through My Disney Experience before they leave home. Guests have the confidence of locking in their must-do attractions, while having the flexibility to make changes on the go. Using My Disney Experience, guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels may make FastPass+ selections up to 60 days in advance of their visit. Disney Passholders and Day guests (those not staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel) using My Disney Experience are able to make FastPass+ selections 30 days in advance of their trip.
- A much-expanded menu of the most popular Walt Disney World attractions and experiences awaits guests selecting FastPass+. In fact, more than twice as many attractions and experiences as before. For the first time, guests are able to reserve fireworks and parade viewing areas, shows and Disney Character Greetings.
- For guests who don’t know where to start, Disney recommends FastPicks – a set of FastPass+ selections that serve as a starting point – and gives guests the option to customize their selections.
- MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, the colorful MagicBand is an all-in-one way to effortlessly connect all the vacation choices guests make online with MyDisneyExperience.com. MagicBands are included for guests staying in Walt Disney World Resort hotels and Passholders. Day guests may use their RF-enabled theme park admission to enter the theme parks and redeem FastPass+ selections or they may purchase a MagicBand ($12.95, plus tax, at merchandise locations in the parks and at Downtown Disney) and link their theme park admission to the MagicBand. Day guests do not need to purchase a MagicBand to enjoy the benefits of MyMagic+.
- Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests can use their MagicBand to enter their Disney Resort hotel room, buy food and merchandise, and enter Walt Disney World theme parks and water parks. Plus, the MagicBand provides FastPass+ access to the experiences selected and serves as the connection to Disney’s PhotoPass.
- With My Disney Experience, guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels and Passholders can select from one of seven colors for their individual MagicBand and personalize them with the family member’s name or nickname etched inside. Day guests can select from among the same colors when they choose to purchase a MagicBand at a Walt Disney World merchandise location. All guests can also further personalize their MagicBand with a variety of accessories available at Walt Disney World merchandise locations.
- Extensive measures are in place to protect the privacy of guests and the security of the personal information they choose to share. Guests’ personal information is not stored on the MagicBand, which contains only a randomly assigned code that securely links to an encrypted database and associates the guest’s MagicBand or card with the experiences they’ve selected. MagicBands are not GPS-based and do not enable collection of continuous location signals.
- MagicBands can be disabled if lost.
- Guests may choose to not participate in MyMagic+. All guests may choose to use an RF-enabled card instead of a MagicBand.
Like any offering, MyMagic+ will evolve over time based on guest and Cast feedback.
Disney is always exploring ways to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level at all its destinations; how and when that occurs will vary based on the unique ways guests enjoy Disney destinations around the world.
The MyMagic+ website for consumers can be accessed at mydisneyexperience.com.