Who can forget Walt Disney’s famous words, “You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world…but it requires people to make the dream a reality.”
From the instant a Guest starts planning their Walt Disney World Resort vacation to the moment they begin their return home, the focus is on delivering legendary Guest service and one-of-a-kind experiences. Since Walt Disney World Resort opened in 1971, the company has relied on Cast Members to exceed the expectations of the millions of diverse Guests who visit the resort each year.
By the Numbers
When the Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, approximately 5,500 Cast Members worked at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, the resort is the largest single-site employer in the United States, employing nearly 70,000 Cast Members in more than 3,000 different job classifications. The average tenure of a Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member is nine years and the average tenure of a Cast Member in a role represented by the Service Trades Council Union is nearly ten years.
|*Includes Florida-site Disney corporate employees|
Cast Member Offerings
Walt Disney World Resort values Cast Members and the magic they create for guests each and every day. The company offers a wide variety of programs, services and benefits that are designed to make a difference in Cast Members’ lives.
- Walt Disney World Resort offers a leading pay and benefits package, including several options for medical, dental and vision coverage, to eligible Cast Members and their dependents. Members of all health plans also receive free preventive care.
- The Center for Living Well Family Healthcare offers integrated medical care and convenience for Disney CIGNA-enrolled Cast and their families who choose to utilize it. Access to doctors, lab and X-ray services and a pharmacy is all provided in one on-site location. Confidentiality is held in the highest regard and busy schedules are easily accommodated.
- Disney offers an innovative collection of programs, tools and resources that Cast Members and their families can use to improve their health. The wide range of wellness offerings include personal health assessments, free, on-site screenings, flu vaccinations, physical activity programs, discounted weight loss programs, an on-site gym, healthy food options in cafeterias and vending machines, a customized wellness web site and specialized programs and support groups for Cast Members with chronic conditions, such as diabetes. Eligible Cast Members, spouses and partners can each earn up to $300 by participating in the Wellness Rewards program.
- The Central Florida YMCA at Walt Disney World Resort offers two on-site childcare facilities for Cast Members. The centers offer extended days and hours of operation, opportunities for discounted tuition rates based on need, back-up care for when a primary provider is not available and affordable summer camp at Mickey’s Retreat at Little Lake Bryan.
- Grocery items are offered to Cast Members at near-wholesale prices at a convenient on-site store reflecting Disney’s commitment to providing affordable, healthier options for its employees. From fresh fruits and vegetables to bread, rice and pasta, items represent every category of the food pyramid and are the same high-quality ingredients served daily at Walt Disney World Resort restaurants.
- Cast Members may use pre-tax dollars, which are automatically deducted from their paychecks, to pay for monthly bus passes on Lynx. Using pre-tax dollars results in a potential savings of 15 to 35 percent each month, depending on individual tax status.
- Equipping Cast Members with the skills they need to achieve career objectives is a commitment Disney takes seriously. Thousands of Cast Members take advantage of Disney University, which provides hundreds of learning experiences on topics ranging from interpersonal communication to leadership skills. Other popular offerings include Disney Learning Centers, which are located throughout property and provide library and computer resources, and The Walt Disney Company’s tuition reimbursement program for eligible employees.
- Disney supports Cast Members with their everyday life needs. LifeCare® is a free service that provides Cast Members with on-site seminars and access to information and resources to assist with parenting, childcare, aging, eldercare, financial and legal needs and more. From plumbers to pet sitters, homework help to home remodeling, specialists are ready to do the legwork and tell Cast Members and their families who is reliable, available and in their budget.
- Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Personal Life Resources, sponsored by LifeCare®, partner with businesses locally and throughout the country to offer Cast Members special discounts on products and services such as food, merchandise, travel and more. Internet access to the hundreds of available discounts ensures Cast Members have convenient access day or night.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts leaders are committed to cultivating organizational vibrancy by embedding diversity, inclusion and multicultural thinking into the business. This helps to foster collaboration, innovation and continuous learning to deliver the best possible experience for guests and the community. Diversity Resource Groups and a Diversity Council represent two forums where Cast actively engage in fostering a community where everyone feels welcomed, appreciated and valued.
- Eligible Cast Members receive free theme park admission to all four Walt Disney World Resort theme parks, as well as the theme parks at Disneyland Resort in California, Disneyland Resort Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. While enjoying the parks, Cast Members are eligible for a number of merchandise and food and beverage discounts.
- Whether it’s learning Tai Chi or striking a batter out, Cast Members can pursue a variety of recreational offerings that bring the magic of Disney to their leisure activities. Cast-exclusive events are held throughout the year and all Cast Members have access to Mickey’s Retreat at Little Lake Bryan, a 19-acre recreation facility that offers swimming, a children’s play area, picnic pavilions, an all-purpose sports field and volleyball, tennis and basketball courts.
- Walt Disney World Resort has a long tradition of recognizing Cast Members for their years of service and celebrating its highest performers. Today, the company continues this tradition of showing appreciation for our Cast Member’s service and commitment in a number of ways including service celebrations, annual Cast appreciation events, local recognition programs specific to departments and through The Walt Disney Legacy Award, which honors top-performers around the globe.