Summer Soars with New Fantasyland Experiences, Enchanting Tales at Disney’s Newest Resort, Nonstop Interactive Fun and…a trip to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Summer is the perfect time for a Walt Disney World vacation and making memories with family and friends to last a lifetime. Talk about memory-making: guests can dive into the magical worlds of Disney animation at a brand-new resort, fly with Dumbo in the new – and expanding – Fantasyland, “hang 10″ at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon or ship out on the first summer sailings of Disney Fantasy.
Here’s a look at what’s in store for this and more…
- Dumbo Flies Again as First Phases of the New Fantasyland Spring to Life. Fun-seekers can soar with a true Fantasyland icon or take a rollicking coaster ride with The Great Goofini as the first phases in the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history welcome summer guests
- “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” summer show. Starting May 25, a new summertime version of “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” will project onto Cinderella Castle. The nightly spectacular – a park favorite since it debuted in early 2011 — includes hundreds of photos of Magic Kingdom guests taken that day. Also projecting onto “it’s a small world” at Disneyland Resort.
- Stay Amid Enchanting Tales as Disney’s Art of Animation Resort opens. May 31 marks the opening of Disney’s newest resort, consisting primarily of family suites immersing guests in the magical worlds of Disney and Disney-Pixar animated films. Landscape of Flavors food court will feature customized dining options at this value-category resort.
- Save on Summer Expeditions on Wild Africa Trek. For a limited time, Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests can enjoy discounted treks when booked for 11:45 a.m. or later. The summer promotion, running May 29 through August 25, 2012, offers guests a $50 discount off excursions across untracked areas of the park featuring close encounters with exotic wildlife. Reservations for Wild Africa Trek (ages 8 and up) can be arranged by calling 407/WDW-TOUR. More information: disneyworld.com/trek.
- Celebrate All Things ‘Cars’ at Downtown Disney June 2-3. Back for its second year, Car Masters Weekend features a free classic car show with a modern twist. Families can enjoy meet-and-greets with Lightning McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissile; a car show presented by Hess Express featuring more than 100 classic, muscle and exotic cars from the Muscle Car Network of Central Florida; a LEGO interactive zone; a DJ and a special appearance by automotive designer Chip Foose, who contributed to the design of Ramone in the “Cars” film. To complete the car-nucopia of events, fans may purchase tickets for a ”Cars” & “Cars 2″ movie marathon at AMC Downtown Disney 24. The event takes place at Downtown Disney West Side.
- Game-Play Away the Day (and Night). Parks Come Alive with New Interactive Experiences. This is the first summer for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, an engaging interactive experience enabling guests – armed with magic spells in the form of special cards — to defeat the Disney Villains. Coming this June, Disney Phineas & Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure turns Epcot guests into secret agents seeking clues that help Agent P defeat his nemesis Dr. Doofenschmirtz.
- Star Wars Weekends returns to the Walt Disney World Galaxy in May-June. With character appearances, themed parades, star conversations, behind-the-scenes presentations and autograph sessions, the popular event brings a galaxy far, far away to Disney’s Hollywood Studios weekends May 18 – June 10, 2012.
- Everybody’s Gone Surfin’…..at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. What says summer better than surfin? Guests this summer can cut, carve and “hang 10″ as part of Craig Carroll’s Cocoa Beach Surf School. It’s at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon, one of two award-winning Disney water parks that are a cooling option for summer guests.
- First Summer for Caribbean Cruises of Disney Fantasy. Fresh from her March 31 maiden voyage, Disney Fantasy offers entertainment, activities and dining experiences made for seven-night cruises to the eastern and western Caribbean.
- AAU Basketball National Championships come to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Boys and girls compete in events July 3 through Aug. 4. The competition features top high-schoolers and has historically been among the premiere collegiate basketball recruiting events in the nation.
- Splitsville. Coming to Downtown Disney West Side this fall, Splitsville will be a new daytime and nighttime hub for strikes, spares and nonstop family fun, boasting 30 bowling lanes on two floors.
More information about Walt Disney World Resort is available at disneyworld.com.