LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort immerses guests in the glamour of show business 365 days a year with thrilling attractions, Broadway-style shows, world-class entertainment, and television and radio production facilities.
The idea for a park based on favorite movie themes originated with Walt Disney at a time when “backlot tours” were limited to a privileged few. He first considered a park on his own backlot, then looked across the river from the Disney Studios in Burbank to land adjacent to Griffith Park. Lack of land combined with potential traffic problems caused him to look elsewhere — namely, Anaheim. The result was Disneyland. In the mid ’80s, a greatly expanded production schedule for The Walt Disney Company demanded more facilities. Rather than buy expensive land in California, the company utilized its land in Florida and combined its new production facilities, giving Walt Disney World guests a behind-the-scenes look at movie and television production.
One mile southwest of Epcot on Walt Disney World Resort property, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., approximately 22 miles southwest of Orlando.
Theme park: Approximately 5,100
- Toy Story Mania!: Celebrating Disney•Pixar classics “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2,” this new ride-game experience combined delightful film characters with personality-matching games guests can play. Donning 3-D glasses, guests shrink to the size of a toy and hop fanciful ride vehicles following a midway-themed route. At each game booth, they aim for animated targets using their own special on-board spring-action shooter.
- “Block Party Bash”: Play, party and dance as the most interactive traveling show in Disney history performs. Guests are invited to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney•Pixar characters fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle features favorite characters from “The Incredibles,” “Toy Story 2,” “Monsters, Inc.” and “A Bug’s Life.”
- “Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show,” presented by Brawny/Georgia-Pacific: This action extravaganza spotlights the high-octane best of the movie industry’s stunt masters. Cars, motorcycles and watercraft are .and watercraft are sent careening and jumping across an enormous Mediterranean village set.
- “Fantasmic!”: Another dream comes true at Walt Disney World Resort, only this time it’s Mickey Mouse’s dream that comes to life in a brilliant display of lights, lasers, fireworks and water animation.
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, presented by Hanesbrands Inc.: A “super-stretch limo” catapults guests through a series of unexpected twists and turns. Specially recorded Aerosmith soundtracks echo throughout this indoor roller coaster.
- The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror: A thrilling journey through the eerie corridors of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, culminating as guests plummet 13 stories again and again — faster than free-fall — in a breathtaking finale.
- “Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!”: Stars from “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “Little Einsteins” and “Handy Manny” have children clapping, singing and dancing.
- “Muppet Vision 3-D”: Three-dimensional film spectacular in a 584-seat theater starring Jim Henson’s famous Muppets and featuring explosive in-theater effects.
- The Great Movie Ride: 22-minute journey into the movies aboard 70-passenger vehicles; stars a cast of Audio-Animatronics characters re-creating memorable movie moments, including “Wizard of Oz,” “Indiana Jones,” “Alien,” and “Casablanca.”
- “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!”: 30-minute live show in a 2,000-seat amphitheater; daring stunt artists and thrilling special effects, re-creating spine-tingling motion picture stunts.
- The Magic of Disney Animation: Features animation gallery, showcase of Disney animation and the animation process, and a chance for guests to draw a Disney animated character.
- Studios Backlot Tour: Tour aboard 200-passenger shuttles through studio backlot including costuming, scenic shop and Catastrophe Canyon.
- “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” Movie Set Adventure: Based on the hit film “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” the movie set adventure playground features an ant the size of a pony, grass blades 30 feet tall and mushroom caps three stories tall.
- Star Tours: “Space journey” in a 40-seat advanced flight simulator from the creative forces of Disney and George Lucas, the ultimate “Star Wars” adventure.
- “Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage“: A delightful musical stage show based on the hit Disney movie, “Beauty and the Beast,” performed multiple times daily in Theater of the Stars.
- “Voyage of the Little Mermaid“: Based on the hit animated film “The Little Mermaid,” the show features dazzling special effects that combine with puppets, Audio-Animatronics figures, live performers and favorite animated clips.
- Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream: Features an interactive gallery showcasing each era of Walt Disney’s life; rare and historic Disney artifacts are on display.
Film and Television Production:
- Animated film production has included “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pocahontas,” “Aladdin,” “Lilo and Stitch” and “Brother Bear.”
- Films shot at the studios have included: “Marvin’s Room,” “Passenger 57,” “Oscar,” “Quick Change,” “Ernest Saves Christmas,” “Splash Too,” “Separate But Equal” (Emmy-winning TV mini-series) and “Instinct.”
- TV shows taped at the studios have included: “Sheena,” “Full House,” “Wheel of Fortune,” “World Championship Wrestling,” “ESPN College Football Awards,” “Talk Soup,” “Step By Step,” “Barbara Walters Special,” “Live! With Regis & Kathie Lee,” “ER,” “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” and the HBO 13-part series “From the Earth to the Moon.”Celebrity Visits:Among the hundreds of actors, comedians and entertainers who’ve appeared at the studios are: Charlton Heston, Dustin Hoffman, Bette Midler, Ann-Margret, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Hanks, Liza Minnelli, Billy Joel, Kevin Bacon, Michael J. Fox, Gary Sinise, Samuel L. Jackson, Lou Gossett Jr., Drew Carey, Oprah, Susan Lucci, Christina Aguilera, Rob Thomas, Tori Amos and Britney Spears.
Restaurants, Snack Bars and Lounges:
- The Hollywood Brown Derby: 289 seats, full-service; features world-famous Cobb salad, steaks, seafood, pasta specialties and fine International wines.
- 50′s Prime Time Cafe/Tune In Lounge: 262 seats, full-service restaurant and 52-seat lounge; features peanut butter and jelly milkshakes, sundaes, delicious fried chicken, old-fashioned meat loaf and chicken pot pie.
- Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant: 254 seats, full-service; features cosmic concoctions ranging from salads and sandwiches to linguini and fresh fish. Diners watch a big screen featuring favorite science fiction scenes.
- ABC Commissary: 562 seats, serving creative fast food with an international flair. Selections include vegetarian stir-fry noodles, fish and chips and Brazilian feijoada (traditional Brazilian black bean stew).
- Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano: 280 seats, full-service; featuring gourmet pizza baked in wood-burning brick ovens. Mama Melrose brings old-fashioned Italian cooking to a restaurant with an upscale feel. Delicious pasta dinners and seafood are available.
- Hollywood & Vine: 314 seats “all-you-care-to-eat” buffet features fresh salads, pasta, rotisserie meats and vegetarian selections.
- Backlot Express, hosted by Coca-Cola: 600 seats, counter service; features custom-broiled hamburgers, grilled hot dogs, marinated chicken breast sandwiches and salads.
- Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner: 140 seats on patio, counter-service; features fruit, yogurt, beverages and snacks.
- Sunset Ranch (featuring Rosie’s All-American Café and Catalina Eddie’s): 400 outdoor seats (covered); hamburgers, hotdogs, individual pizza, baked potatoes and turkey legs.
- Dinosaur Gertie’s Ice Cream of Extinction: Snack bar that features ice cream.
- Starring Rolls Cafe, hosted by Nestlé Toll House: 48 seats on patio; fresh-made pastries, salads, house-roasted coffee.
- Anaheim Produce: Produce stands featuring fresh fruit, vegetables and beverages.Dining Reservations:
Available for full-service restaurants; can be made at Hollywood Junction Red Car Station (corner of Hollywood and Sunset) on the day of visit for The Hollywood Brown Derby, 50′s Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant, Hollywood & Vine and Mama Melrose’s. Reservations can be made in advance by calling 407/WDW-DINE.Merchandise:
- Crossroads of the World: Souvenirs, film, sunglasses, post cards, rainwear, sundries.
- Oscar’s Super Service: Stroller, wheelchair rental.
- The Darkroom: Camera sales and rental, film, camera accessories, film processing.
- Celebrity 5 & 10: Disney’s Hollywood Studios logo souvenir variety goods.
- Keystone Clothiers: Adult Disney fashions, accessories and jewelry.
- L.A. Prop Cinema Storage: Children’s Disney character apparel, toys, costumes, souvenirs.
- Mickey’s of Hollywood: Character apparel, plush characters and other themed toys and souvenir items.
- Golden Age Souvenirs: Disney character merchandise.
- Animation Gallery: Animation cels, original art and collectibles.
- The Studio Store: Disney animated films merchandise.
- Tatooine Traders: Souvenirs and collectibles featuring characters from “Star Wars” films.
- Indiana Jones™ Adventure Outpost: Clothing, hats and souvenirs based on the adventures of Indiana Jones.
- Stage 1 Company Store: Muppets and “Bear in the Big Blue House” merchandise.
- In Character…Disney’s Costume Shop: Children’s costumes and accessories.
- AFI Showcase Shop: TV-and-Disney-movie related merchandise.
- Legends of Hollywood: Girls’ clothing, accessories and toys.
- Sunset Ranch Souvenirs: Disney character hats and accessories.
- Sunset Club Coutures: Limited edition and one-of-a-kind watches drawn by Disney artisans; jewelry and clocks.
- Tower Hotel Gifts: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror logo apparel, hats and souvenirs.
- The Writer’s Stop: Books, gifts, snacks.
- Sid Cahuenga’s One of a Kind: Movie memorabilia including signed posters, film props and costumes.
- Villains in Vogue: Pirates of the Caribbean merchandise as well as villain-themed clothing and accessories.
- Planet Hollywood Superstore: Planet Hollywood logo merchandise and clothing.