LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — A dazzling blue 122-foot-tall Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat takes center stage at Disney’s Hollywood Studios representing the magic of show business and the entertainment wizardry of Disney that is captured throughout shows and attractions at the park.
This giant showpiece, made from composite fiberglass and shaped like the pointed hat worn by Mickey in the animated classic “Fantasia,” weighs 156 tons. It is a brilliant blue, and decorated with moon and star shapes of glittering gold.
As designed, an equally great Mickey hand tips the hat, which rests on two shimmering ribbon loops that are stylized versions of Mickey’s ears. The hat and ears sit atop a solid foundation that uses enough concrete to cover the length of a football field.
The icon stands at the end of Hollywood Boulevard directly in front of the Chinese Theater.
The Sorcerer’s Hat at Disney’s Hollywood Studios follows Disney’s icon tradition of Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom, Spaceship Earth at Epcot and The Tree of Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios immerses guests in the glamour of show business 365 days a year with thrilling attractions, incredible Broadway-style shows, world-class entertainment and interactive film, television and radio production facilities. The theme park is part of the 25,000-acre Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Fla.
- Head Measurements: The hat size is 606 7/8.
- On Top of the Mouse: Mickey would have to be 350 feet tall if he were to wear this giant hat.
- The Hat: The hat itself is 100 feet tall. The interior space equals nearly 60,000 cubic feet. It can hold 444,744 gallons of water. Six stars and two moons adorn the hat.
- Paint Job: The hat is painted with a custom technique called “chameleon paint” which shifts color as guests move around it. Painting the hat required enough paint to cover 500 Cadillacs.
- Mickey Ears: The Mickey ears feature a new special effect called “Light Ribbons,” which change color and sparkle with internal pixie dust lighting.
- Holding it All Together: There are 13,493 bolts that hold the hat together, 26,986 washers and 17,000 feet (or 57 football fields) of underground utility piping.