LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – “Flash flooding” takes on a whole new meaning for Walt Disney World guests when they experience Crush ‘n’ Gusher, a white-knuckle water coaster thrill ride at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park.
Walt Disney World guests find themselves immersed in a dense tropical jungle amid the towering remains – rusted-out and dilapidated – of a fruit exporting plant. The once-landlocked packing plant known as Tropical Amity now sits on the shores of Hideaway Bay, a body of water left in the wake of a torrential storm.
The wobbly remains of the wash facility – what used to be a controlled environment with fruit flowing gently down to the packing plant – is now a turbulent series of gushing water flumes. It is these flumes, spiraling out of control through twisted and crumbling wash spillways with crushing force, that redefine “flash flooding” for Typhoon Lagoon guests.
While riding Crush ‘n’ Gusher, guests are whisked away on inflatable rafts and immediately begin to experience the up-and-down sensations of a roller coaster, made possible by utilizing some of today’s latest water ride innovations. Powerful water jets propel guests through cavernous twists and turns, eventually spitting them out into the tranquil waters of Hideaway Bay. Three separate ride systems are available – Banana Blaster, Coconut Crusher and Pineapple Plunger.
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon, itself the result of a calamity of nature (so the legend goes), continues to make the best of a bad situation – in this case the uncovered structural remains of Tropical Amity. With the water coaster thrill ride of Crush ‘n’ Gusher in the backyard jungle of Typhoon Lagoon, guests have one more reason to enjoy this tropical paradise.
For more information, guests may call 407/824-4321 or visit disneyworld.com
- Crush ‘n’ Gusher is the only water roller coaster in North America that has three unique and separate rides off of one tower.
- Each Crush ‘n’ Gusher water jet nozzle puts out 1350 gallons per minute.
- The average length of each slide is over 400 feet.
- One slide from Crush ‘n’ Gusher can fill a standard home-size pool in about one minute.
- Crush ‘n’ Gusher can fill up Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon wave pool (2.7 million gallons) in about 3 hours.
- If you were to connect the average fire hose to a single Crush ‘n’ Gusher jet nozzle, it could shoot water over The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Ride height requirement is 48 inches.